Wednesday 25 June 2014

PRODUCT REVIEW: BAKEBOX

 
 
  
I love that there are so many novel start ups mushrooming in the food industry but many of these entrepreneurs have a long way to go before their enterprises can be considered professional. I think Bakebox is a great idea - get a box of sweet treats put together by different bakers delivered to your doorstep every month. A really convenient way to try out all the great, smaller bakeries out there that aren't easy to reach otherwise.
 
The first time I ordered, my order got lost and I didn't get my box. Disgruntled but not inconsolable, I followed up and got my box a couple of weeks later. Bakebox has great packaging and each box has clearly been put together with great attention to detail but the bakers they covered in May "The Sugar Story" just aren't very good. Everything was too sweet, too dry and though not bad looking, hardly edible.
 
This is the problem - while I understand their model is to outsource the actual baking to others, the entire exercise fails if they don't rigorously scrutinize the bakers they pick. I don't want to gamble INR 850 (approx.) each month, unsure if the product I'm going to get is going to be worth it or not. If you want to try your luck though check out their website here.

No comments: