Sunday 22 December 2013

RITU DALMIA'S BEETROOT RAITA

"Your diet is a bank account. Good food choices are good investments."
 Bethany Frankel
 
 
 
One day a friend and I were sharing a sandwich and discussing the small parts of our day that make us happy. I'm happy when I order good coffee in college, when I get paneer sandwiches for breakfast, when I sneak a Nirula's hot fudge sundae into my day (double scoop ice cream with extra fudge and extra nuts), when I get home and get to work on this blog and when I fall asleep by 10.
 
The really big things that go right sometimes seem too complex, too hard won, and too few to really count. It's the little freebies life throws me that delight me, the weather being perfect at brunch, a dreaded meeting being unexpectedly productive, diligences getting called off (okay that may be a big one), finding no traffic when you're running late to work. Tiny, everyday, gifts of fate that let you catch your breath.
 
This Beetroot Raita happened much the same way. I made Ritu Dalmia's Prawn Biryani, found it was to be accompanied by this raita, looked in the fridge and there they were! Two gnarly looking beetroots. I'd never worked with beetroot in any form before so this seemed like an appropriate baby step. And now I'm in love. This raita will take you less than 10 minutes to make, the ingredients are inexpensive and easy to find, the sweet and tang of the gentle beet and yoghurt combination is delicious - the brilliant fuschia color is just a bonus you didn't even need to earn.  
 
Serves 2
Recipe adapted from Ritu Dalmia's Travelling Diva
 
What you’ll need:
½ cup beetroot (peeled and cubed)
2 cups yoghurt
Salt
2 tsp cooling oil
1 tsp mustard seeds
Handful of curry leaves
Couple of dry chillies

 
How to:
 
1. Puree the beetroot and yoghurt adding a little water if necessary. Mix in salt.
 2. Heat a pan with oil. Add mustard seeds, curry leaves and chillies when the oil is hot. Fry till the mustard seeds start to crackle. Turn off the heat and drizzle on to the yoghurt mixture.

No comments: