Thursday 19 December 2013

RESTAURANT REVIEW: MARKET CAFE, KHAN MARKET

For putting your feet up and watching Khan Market bustle


Sometimes you find a place that gives you what you need and like. For me, Market Café is often that place – it’s very close to where I live, I’m there so often the staff knows what I’m going to do and when the weather is good the slightly, shabby balcony offers me everything I love about South Delhi and a bunch of hyperactive cats. Seriously. There’s a whole litter of cats that calmly stalk across the place like they own it.

But for all the reasons I’ve mentioned above, this can’t be a recommendation – I’m too familiar and too close to be able to judge the place anymore.

Looks Like

The inside has orange walls with some art and thankfully no harsh white light (I hate white light, it always reminds me of office). Sit in the cool interior if it’s too hot or too cold outside but otherwise find a chair at the pretty terrace and watch Khan Market bustle below.


Tastes Like

The Market Café menu feels like a sprint around the globe with Mediterranean, Italian, Mexican, American and Spanish options. Usually I freeze in the face of so many choices but I know these guys do a pretty stand up job. The Mezze Platter with Hummus, Muhammaran, Tabouleh and Falafel is a safe thing to start with, tiny bite sized chunks of the Mediterranean with a spread of dips. I do wish they weren’t so stingy with their dips though. The Greek Lamb Gyros are much more filling, little minced lamb kebabs with mini pita pockets and hummus. The Harissa Chicken Skewers were unexpectedly bland, tasting like plain chicken skewers with too little harissa flavor to make a difference. If you’re looking to eat and run, the Roasted Chicken Sandwich is bursting with healthy slabs of chicken, basil and olives.

I mostly go to Market Café to get my writing done so my consumption is usually limited to endless cups of coffee or the Lemon Twist (lime, fennel and ginger fizz) which I can’t get enough of. Apart from the mezze dishes none of the food strikes me as exceptional but the standard, location and ambience keep me coming back.

Feels Like

I have sat here for hours with just one cup of coffee and they’ve never tried to rush me. For a while me and Fuchsia came every Sunday to wine and whine – the service has always been not just professional but really sweet. It’s the balance of unobtrusive and helpful I appreciate.

Be prepared to run into someone you know!
 

Should you go: I say yes!
Vegetarian Options: Yes
Liquor License: Yes
Smoking Area: Yes
Address:  8, 2nd Floor, Khan Market
Phone: 011 30146022 Ext: 972                                                                        
 

No comments: