Wednesday 2 October 2013

CLEAN POTATO SALAD

Only a fool argues with a skunk or a mule or a cook.
- Cowboy saying
 
 
 
I went through a hectic phase recently where all my friends suddenly decided to make plans and throw parties. Simultaneously I got staffed on a difficult, new transaction and a personal project of mine started to reach fruition. For a few weeks I barely had time to breathe and I promised myself more quiet time and sleep.
 
The phase passed and suddenly the deal died, my friends ran off to do their own thing and the project stalled. Now I'm bored out of my mind and I'm irritated with myself for being bored because I know when things pick up I'll be complaining again. Actually I'm still complaining. Basically I never stop complaining.
 
Chronic discontent needs to be recognized as a serious physiological disorder because I think it's killing me. Tox/detox/retox or hyperventilate/vegetate/hyperventilate. Maybe I'm actually a tiny hamster on a very large exercise wheel, frantically getting nowhere fast.
 
I turn to potatoes to calm me down. I think it's because potatoes are such a large part of my culture. The people of Bihar may not know when, if ever, their streets will be cleaned but we know our favourite food, vegetable and passion. Potatoes.
 
This is a lovely, clean potato salad, without any of the weighty cream and mayo people usually use. Just simple, fresh flavours - perhaps the most virtuous potatoes you'll ever eat:
 


Serves 3
Recipe adapted from Martha Stewart

 

What you’ll need:

3 -4 small boiled potatoes (I left the skin on but you can peel them if you prefer) (cubed)
3 -4 tbsp olive oil
Handful of cilantro/parsley (washed and chopped)
Juice of 1-2 lemons
Salt and pepper to taste

How to:

1. Pop the cubes of potato into a medium sized bowl.

2. Mix the remaining ingredients together in small bowl. Pour on top of potatoes. Mix it all together. Serve hot or cold.

Note: Using freshly cracked pepper is always a good idea.
 

1 comment:

Ali Murad Khan said...

to get a nice crisp skin and to cut down on the boiling time , cut the potato into equal fours or eights and pop it into the microwave and let it semi cook 3/4th the way (timing varies). Then saute it with herbs and garlic and olive oil for flavors and crispness u cant forget :) total cook time under 13 mins :)