Sunday 8 September 2013

RICH, NOURISHING TOMATO SOUP

First we eat, then we do everything else.
MFK Fisher


 
I love making resolutions. I'm usually on a new trip every few months. Over the course of the last 26 years I have been, in turn, a communist, a very observant Hindu, a wiccan, vegetarian, enthusiastic gym bunny and weekend artist. I have gone through nihilistic, Mean Girls, ice queen, party girl and corporate slave phase.
 
Through ups and downs I've moulded, unmoulded and remoulded my preferences and personality over and over again to try to find the fit I'm most comfortable with. Because this is exhausting (and requires too many wardrobe updates) I've decided to pick my next phase not based on my life right now but what I'd like to have for myself in the future. This is proving to be really difficult since I usually don't know where I'm going to be next week forget next year. But if I don't figure it out, then how am I going to invest in classic wardrobe staples that will last me forever?!
 
Through all these phases there is of course an indelible core and my ever-expanding, indelible core loves carbohydrates, sugar and spicy Indian Italian. Which is why I love this classic, rich tomato soup with its intense tomato, garlic and oregano flavors- it's pretty healthy and can be seasoned as aggressively as you like. I've used oregano in mine but you can add whatever you like.
 
This is great for rainy afternoons and chilly evenings.


 
Serves 2
Recipe my own

What you’ll need:

3 -4 tomatoes (cubed)
1 onion (sliced)
500 ml vegetable stock
100 ml tomato puree
3 tbsp butter
1 tbsp garlic paste
1 tsp red chilli powder
1 tbsp oregano/thyme/ rosemary/ Italian seasoning or seasoning of your choice
Salt and pepper to taste

How to:

1. Heat the butter and pop in the garlic and onion, cook till the garlic is brown and fragrant and the onion has softened. Add the rest of the ingredients and cook till you have a thick mixture. This might take a while.

2. Puree the mix and adjust seasoning, if needed. Serve hot with crusty bread or a sandwich.

Note: Crack some fresh black pepper for even more kick.

2 comments:

bella said...

Yasha..what do you make your stock from?

Yashasvini said...

Hi Bella! I don't usually bother to make my own stock because it takes too much planning and often end up using Maggi stock cubes. I just learnt that they might have MSG though so I'm on the look out for healthier cubes..