Monday 17 June 2013

MANGO AND FETA SALAD WITH BLACK OLIVES AND MINT

“If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien


I knew very little about cooking when I started this blog and I still have a long way to go. While the goal is to get better in front of the stove (or oven) over the course of the next year of food bloggery, I've decided to give myself a set of resolutions to follow:

1. Virtue is its own reward

My lifestyle is quite crap from a health perspective and I don't see it getting much better any time soon. Since I eat so much junk anyway, I'm going to try not to bring it into my kitchen too. Expect more salads, smoothies, fruits, vegetables and all around goodness in my posts.

2. From your own backyard

I'm sick and tired of recipes asking me to buy blueberries that have flown half way across the globe to reach my grocery store. These ingredients are expensive, bad for the environment, pretentious and completely unnecessary. India has a wide range of fresh, local, seasonal produce available which I'd prefer to focus on. The same goes for dairy and other products -I don't want to hear about your four hundred rupee German white butter when more often than not reliable, old Amul will do as good a job.

3. Fortune favours the bold

I havn't tried to make meringue, pies, pancakes, chinese food or dishes with red meat because I'm pretty sure I'm going to screw it up. I don't know this of course, since I've never tried but I'm scared. I think it's time to get over it and just cook.

4. Keeping it simple

My favourite kinds of food have few ingredients and strong, simple flavours. I want to incorporate more recipes that follow what I hope will become my style of cooking.

5. Have more fun

Coming up soon more party menus; long, aimless writing; (hopefully) better photos, restaurant and product reviews! I love putting up a post which I'm excited about and I have a bunch of new ideas that I'm hoping to get out of my head and on to this page!


Add black olives - it'll add more color. Also, as you can see I can't cube a mango. I just squish them into mush but it tastes as good.
Serves 4
Adapted from Martha Stewart


WHAT YOU’LL NEED:
 
2 ripe mangoes
3 tbsp feta chunks
1 thinly sliced red chilli
¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
¼ cup lime juice
2 tbsp sliced olives
Handful of torn up mint leaves
Pinch of salt

 
HOW TO:
 
1. Mix together lime juice, salt, chilli and olive oil. Set aside.
 
2. Chop up mangoes and drop some feta on top. Add the oil dressing, sprinkle some mint on top and serve.
 
Note: You can easily sauté some shrimp (with salt and pepper) and add it to the salad to bulk it up.

No comments: