Tuesday 11 June 2013

FROMAGE FRAIS WITH STRAWBERRIES

“Boy, those French! They have a different word for everything.”
― Steve Martin
 

I was having breakfast at my hotel coffee shop on a work trip recently when I noticed an elderly European man in a kurta taking tips on navigating Bombay from a waiter. He had run into a bunch of uncooperative taxi drivers the previous day and the language barrier hadn't helped. But he wasn't upset or agitated, mostly just fascinated with the way things work in a place so far from his home. It reminded me of some of my holidays - the dizzying excitement of landing in a new place with a suitcase and a dog eared Lonely Planet. Walking around, bumping into new things and not being irritated by inconvenience because each interruption is a story, because each tiny interaction is to be put lovingly into a pile of memories.

Unfortunately I work a day job that doesn't allow me the time to do as much travelling as I would like. It doesn't help that it's summer and everyone and their uncle seems to be on vacation. Best to take solace in food. Sometimes food can recreate for me, that surprise I feel when I run into something totally unfamiliar and lovely.

Fromage Frais is light, delicate, subtle and possibly the prettiest tasting dessert I've had in a while. I have no idea if there's anything particularly French about it but it was new to make and new tasting and till I go on vacation it will have to suffice.

Serves 3
Adapted from Good Food Magazine
What you'll need: 
1 egg white
25 gm icing sugar
1 lemon (zested and juiced)
200 gm strawberries
 
 
For the Fromage Frais Mousse
175 gm ricotta cheese
75 gm sour cream
½ tsp vanilla essence

 
How to:
 
1. Blend the ricotta, vanilla and sour cream till smooth. Set aside.

 
2. Put egg white in a double broiler (pan on top of a pan filled with boiling water) and add icing sugar. Whisk (keeping the pan on the stove) with an electric beater for about 5 – 7 minutes till the mixture holds peaks. It should look and taste like a melted marshmallow.

 
Note: This is tough but it's the only tough part really. Be patient – the whole usually comes together just a minute after you decide to give up.  

 
3. Take the egg mixture off the heat and add the lemon zest and juice. Whisk till the mixture cools.

 
4. Add the egg to the ricotta mix and whisk till smooth. Transfer to your serving container and chill.

 
5. Chop up the strawberries and keep some aside for the garnish. I kept almost half aside because I enjoy the chunks of strawberry more than just the puree. 

 
6. Puree the other half with some lemon juice and 2 tsp of sugar – you could slide it through a sieve to take out the seeds but I like the texture of the seeds.

 
7. Spoon on top of the fromage mixture and serve.
 

No comments: