Thursday 4 October 2012

LEKHA'S BREAKFAST OF CHAMPIONS

Writing a food blog didn't turn out to be as glamourous as I initially imagined it would be. Actually if there is one lesson I've learnt in life it is nothing is as glamourous as I initially imagined it would be. So instead of breezing through champagne lunches where I sample caviar I spend most of my spare time trolling for recipes on the internet. Every day I read many,many recipes which span from so simple as to be ridiculous (hot chocolate = melt chocolate and add milk) to the completely absurd (make chips out of carrots - I tried it doesn't work. Don't bother with eggplant either).

I'm not complaining but it's wonderful sometimes to have a friend forward a recipe! This way I know it works and I get to write about friends which is always happy!

Thanks so much for sending me this recipe Lekha! Also everyone please go check out the amazing writing Lekha and Danish have been putting up at http://reviewerswithoutborders.blogspot.in/. (The whole mosaic format is so sexy by the way - you must tell me how you do that)...

Find below the wonderful Srilekha Sridhar's breakfast of champions - the way I made mine looks like crud but it tastes amazing and is so simple that you have no excuse not to try it..

 
I've dripped more jam on top of mine but I understand normal humans don't consume so much sugar

What you'll need:
1 egg
1 tsp vanilla essence
2 slices bread
Sandwich filling (cream cheese, jam, whatever)
1 tbsp milk
Pinch of salt
Lemon juice
Butter

Lekha:

I love breakfast foods for dinner, so I thought you might enjoy my favourite dinnerfast recipe: it's basically a french toast, but you toast a whole sandwich instead of a single slice. I don't know how popular this is, I discovered it on a Nigella website. Her version was all fancied up with berry compote marinaded in balsamic vinegar and emu feathers and whatnot, mine's a little more lowbrow:
 
1. Grab two slices of stale bread and slather them in peanut butter, cream cheese, normal cheese spread, marmalade or literally any sandwich filling and make a sandwich.
 
You can cut off the crust, but I don't because I love how french toasted crust tastes!
 
2. Whisk an egg, 1 tbsp milk, half tsp vanilla essence and a pinch of salt together. If you are using a "salty" filling like peanut butter or cream cheese, you can afford to add a bit of sugar to your egg mixture but skip that if you are going with a sweet filling.
 
Otherwise it can get cloyingly sweet!
 
3. Soak both sides of the sandwich in the egg and allow it to soak in the eggy goodness for about 15 seconds per side.
 
4. Cook in butter on a skillet till golden brown.
 
BAM it's done! All under 15 minutes and that's if you're slow!
 
Pro-tip: A squeeze of lemon juice on french toast does miraculous things!

 

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow! This is amazing! I want to try this with bananas as a filling...

Laxminarayan Bhattad, Nagpur

radha said...

K survived on Lekha's cooking, so I can vouch for it!

Anonymous said...

you have a great blog here! would you like to make some invite posts on my blog?