Monday 22 October 2012

ALMOND KHEER

"I want to eat your skin like a whole almond" - Pablo Neruda


Since it is Durga Puja I thought an Indian dessert would make for an appropriate post and this kheer recipe is perfect. The ingredients are easy to find, the recipe is simple (though you will need upper arm strength, I will explain later) and almost impossible to fup up! My favourite kind of recipe!

Getting back to the upper arm strength, so if you read the recipe you see there's a point where I tell you to stir the milk till it thickens. This means you will keep stirring the milk (on a medium low flame) till you reach a a point where you're sure nothing is happening and the whole recipe is a cruel lie and you're going to be left with 2 litres of cardamom flavoured milk. Don't lose heart. It WILL (eventually) get thicker. And then you'll feel like you can do magic. Maybe not so much but you will feel proud (and your arms will be tighter).



What you’ll need:

30 – 35 almonds

2 litres milk (the more fat the milk has – the less effort you will expend trying to get it to thicken)

½ cup sugar

5- 7 green cardamom pods

Handful of raisins and pistachios

10 strands of saffron (optional)

How to:

1. Soak the almonds in hot water for 30 minutes and peel their skins off. Add some water and grind to a paste.

2. Soak strands of saffron in a couple of tablespoons of water.

3. Crush the cardamom pods and keep aside.

4. Pour your milk, crushed cardamom, sugar and almond paste into a heavy bottomed pan and boil. After one boil reduce the flame and let it simmer till the milk thickens. Try to keep stirring the mix.
 
Note: This whole milk thickening business is fascinating – it took me 35 minutes of stirring because I didn’t realize I was working with some kind of fancy zero fat super skim milk. Even if you are one of those people who drinks this kind of milk go buy full fat milk for the kheer. Or stir for 35 minutes. Your choice.

This is also a good time to check for sweetness – if you want more sugar, add it before you put in the saffron and stir till the sugar dissolves.

5. Add saffron strands and raisins. Cook for a further 2 minutes and take off the heat.

Note: If the kheer feels too thick add some milk to water it back down to the consistency you want.

6. Serve with chopped almond and pistachios. You can serve this hot or cold.

Note: I’m not too sure what it’s like chilled because in my house it was over before it had a chance to cool.


 
 
 

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for this post. I don’t know a large number of links to forums but my friends seem to be able to spend a lot of time on them that’s for sure.

radha said...

I think you could make the task a little easier if you add a tin of condensed milk and reduce the quantity of sugar (and also milk) . The time taken for the final product is shorter. This I realised after many years of the arm strengthening exercise!

Anonymous said...

I truly wanted to write down a quick remark to thank you for these pleasant secrets you are showing at this website. My time-consuming internet lookup has at the end been rewarded with really good know-how to go over with my contacts. I ‘d express that we readers actually are undoubtedly blessed to dwell in a fantastic community with many outstanding individuals with insightful concepts. I feel rather grateful to have used the web site and look forward to tons of more cool times reading here. Thank you once more for all the details.