Tuesday 20 November 2012

RESTAURANT REVIEW: THE ALL AMERICAN DINER

For when only breakfast will do.
 
 
LOOKS LIKE
 
Many online reviewers have talked about the charming décor of the All American Diner but to be perfectly honest to me it looks Minnie Mouse went wild in a diner. Bright red, plastic booths and Betty Boop posters can only be Minnie’s idea of an authentic diner experience. I’m not saying I don’t like it, it's a sweet, cheerful space but if you told me you find it cloying, I wouldn’t disagree. I imagine kids love the place.

One thing that really bothers me about the décor is the innumerable, incongruent, disorienting tin plate ads on the walls. Selling everything from knives to cars, they’re all over every wall. I would have thought the place much prettier if they just got rid of, about 25 to 40 of them.

 
TASTES LIKE

 The Diner has a pretty extensive menu but really the only thing worth eating on there is the breakfast food. And the breakfast food is good.

I alternate between the sausages and eggs or the bacon and eggs (2 eggs, your choice of breakfast bread, hash browns and 3 slices of bacon or pork/chicken sausages) and I’m never disappointed. The hot dogs, pancakes and milk shakes also all work.

Don’t bother with the miscellaneous lunch and dinner plates, any non-breakfast food you would get at the Diner would probably be better someplace else. Ditto for the burgers, the Chilli Bean Burger was just the most insipid, dilute attempt at a vegetarian burger and the Spicy Cheese Toast was ordinary masala toast served cold.

 
FEELS LIKE
 
The service really isn’t great. There’s not much more to say about it. They forget orders, they take too long, they aren’t particularly knowledgeable about the menu and pretty much all you can expect is for them to gaze at you blankly. Go when you’re feeling patient. Also check your bill, they get their numbers wrong quite often.

More Reading:

I didn’t find any very interesting review to share but here’s their official site if you want to take a look:


THINGS YOU NEED TO KNOW:

Should you go? A reliable option when you want breakfast for breakfast, lunch or dinner
Vegetarian Options – Available
Liquor license – Yes
AddressIndia Habitat Centre, Lodhi Road, New Delhi
Phone011 41220000

 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Can't believe you don't like American Diner! What an unholy thing to say. I'm cancelling my Reluctant Chef subscription and burning my Reluctant Chef DVDs in a trashcan.

They will give you breakfast and booze any time of day. What more do you want?

B.I. Sunyan, Katmandu, Indisgust