Wednesday 15 October 2014

RESTAURANT REVIEW: BACI, SUNDAR NAGAR

For the love of a market

 
I'm a huge fan of the aptly named Sundar Nagar Market, there's something so lovely and old wordly about the quiet, genteel place with its overpriced but charming antique, jewellery and tea stores. Unfortunately as I have little need to spend much time buying antiques, jewellery or tea, the only reason I go is to eat or for their Diwali Mela. The eating options are pretty restricted though, limited to a standard issue Nathu's, the all looks no substance Harem O, and the heavy Indian at Lazeez Affaire. So considering this dearth and the great publicity bestowed on Baci I went in expecting a safe bet. Suffice to say I'm going to start collecting antiques if I need a reason to go back to Sundar Nagar.
 

Looks Like

I quite like the way the décor is restrained in shades of beige, wood and white. I love the playful black and white photos of travel through (just a wild guess here) Italy. I particularly like the tiny balcony that looks out on to the tree lined park in the centre of the market.
 
 
Tastes Like

I'd heard so much about the place I was expecting excellent Italian. What I got was pretty middle of the road and maybe if I hadn't had high expectations going in I wouldn't have been so disappointed, but, oh well.

The biggest problem was the summer special of Prosciutto and Melon with listless pieces of melon and rancid strips of prosciutto. Any restaurant capable of serving up spoilt meat is not a restaurant I'll be going back to. As my boss often says, there's a standard below which it is inexcusable to fall.

The Spaghetti Al Frutti Di Mare (Spaghetti Pasta with Fresh Mixed Seafood, Oregano and Tomato) was average. The tomato and oregano sauce mediocre. Much, much better was the Penne Alla Matriciana (Penne Pasta with Bacon, Black Pepper and Fresh Tomato Sauce) with a punchy sauce and chips of glorious, crunchy bacon.

Ordinarily when I have a mediocre meal I give the place another chance but I'd bee having a really busy week and I'd only gotten time to meet my friends for one short lunch and to have that ruined was just so infuriating! I eat out all the time and I get served bad food all the time but I draw my line of tolerance at poor hygiene levels. Baci knows better and can easily afford to make sure they don't serve meat that's stinking off the plate. What really gets my goat is that the customer has no real means of hauling a restaurant up in the face of such an egregious bumbling of health and safety norms. I can send the plate back and get the amount deducted from the bill but that just doesn't seem to be enough. There's an expectation of enjoyment that an establishment may or may not meet but we have a right to clean food that will not make us ill and each restaurant owner, chef and waiter has a duty to make sure that happens.

I guess I'm just tired of restaurants dropping the ball on standards because they know our authorities will drop the ball on enforcing them and eventually no matter how angry a customer is they'll walk away and forget about it.

 
Feels Like

The staff is fine, not stellar and could use a little more training on the menu. They had no idea what to do when they realized their kitchen had messed up though - something they should probably have been taught.

 
Should you go? Don't bother
Liquor License: Yes
Smoking Area: Yes
Address: 23, Main Market, Sundar Nagar
Phone: 011 30146033 Extn 978

No comments: