Sunday 25 May 2014

RESTAURANT REVIEW: SAKLEY'S, GK I, M BLOCK MARKET

For the love of the hills
 
 
Sakley's is where I plan to spend the scorching Delhi summer. Unless I get leave in which case I'm going to make a dash to some actual mountains. If you are (as I suspect I will be) stuck on the plains, this tiny chunk of hilly heaven is the respite you need.
 
My trip to Sakley's followed a couple of fun new restaurants I'd just been to, including Diggin and the Colony Bistro in Kailash Colony Market. There's also a bunch of new places I've heard great things about but haven't gotten a chance to get to yet. All of which adds up to the promise of some exciting eating this summer!
 
 
Looks Like
 
If you (or anyone you know) is planning to open a restaurant, try to get the guys who put together Sakley's as designers. Whoever they are, they aren't just designers, they're magicians. I saw the giant hoarding for the mountain café from across the street in hectic GK I, M Block Market while ducking harried Punjabi aunties and street shopping college girls. Up two flights of stairs and I walked into an almost story book representation of a hillside lodge.
 
Thankfully, on the second floor you can't see the rest of the now totally unglamorous M Block Market. The giant windows have, as would be appropriate for an establishment in the hills, a view of tree tops. The (I'm guessing false) stone walls, fire place and ceiling covered with logs all add to the après ski ambience without ever feeling too weighed down.
 
I personally loved that there are a couple of books kept on each table and a few bookshelves dotting the place in case you want to pick out something else to read. The restaurant is funnily shaped so don't just sit at the first table you see, check out the small corner at the end if you'd like a little more privacy.
 
 
Tastes Like
 
Sometimes at restaurants with decors I really like I hesitate while ordering because if the food is crap all that prettiness goes down the crapper. Exhibit 1 in said category: Café 88, Meharchand Market. Sakley's is not going to be Exhibit 2.
 
 
The menu is a charming collection of unfussy classics that the mother branch in Nainital made its name selling to boarding school brats. There's a range of hearty generic continental including breakfast dishes, thin crust pizzas, pastas, sandwiches, and burgers. The designing and sweet references to hill stations, well known boarding schools and Beatles songs makes the menu fun to flip through and keeps the usual pizza/pasta spiel fresh. I think my next order will be the Doon Valley Grilled Basa Fish with Lemon Butter Sauce, with a side of Matterhorn Jacket Potato with Cheddar Cheese and Jalapenos and a Norwegian Woods Cappuccino. A meal and a happy trek through the hills in my imagination.
 
 
The salad, the name of which I've unfortunately unforgotten was a star with the perfect salad leaves to strawberries to vinaigrette ratio. Proof that healthy options don't need to be drab or flavorless. I also loved the Six Pack Summer High Protein, Low Carb Egg White Omelette with Spinach, Tomato and Exotic Herbs but the deep flavor left me wondering who's six pack the eggs were referring to. I don't know the dish's nutritional details but each rich and buttery bite was perfectly cooked - one of the best omelettes I've had in a while. If you're not interested in half hearted calorie counting, I'm proud of you and I recommend you head straight for the Half Pounder Lamb Burger topped with Gherkins and Iceberg, a gargantuan but impossibly soft and satisfactory lamb patty, grilled gloriously to make a meat lover's day. Every mouthful an explosion well seasoned red meat and cheese.
 
 
The lemon iced tea was a little too sweet and the dessert selection insipid and uninspiring. But these are small quibbles, you can be sure I'm going to be back in Sakley's trying out more of their menu this summer.
 
Feels Like
 
The staff is pleasant and helpful as well as capable of making good recommendations. It gets quite busy at meal times but also makes a great place to relax away from the market mayhem.
 

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is so pretty! Especially the last one with the foster's bottle. :)

Unknown said...

I really like the reviews about this restaurants.Best Restaurants in Noida