Thursday 2 January 2014

RITU DALMIA'S SUMMER CHICKEN WITH COFFEE GLAZE AND HUNG YOGHURT SAUCE

 "Too little is it considered, while we gaze on aristocratic beauty, how much good food, soft lying, warm wrapping, ease of mind, have to do with the attractions which command our admiration." Samuel Lover

 
I read somewhere recently that to be really good at something you need to be at it for 10,000 hours. That's around 417 days, a little more than year without sleep, food or other such little distractions. It doesn't seem like a lot of time but I'm pretty sure I've managed to turn 27 without making a large dent in my 10,000 hour requirement for any of the things I do. I know I write about it often but it's because I think about it often, am I really spending my time on the important things? The things that'll add up and count when it's time to count. I can't be sure. I doubt I'll ever be.
 
But one of the things I'm sure of is that one of the things I'd like to be really good at is cooking. This unusual and totally exciting Summer Chicken with Coffee Glaze and Yoghurt Sauce has added 35 minutes to my 10,000 hour tank. Sweet, tangy and with deep coffee notes which perfectly complement the thickened minty, yoghurt sauce. If you're pressed for time skip the chicken and just make the yoghurt sauce as a dip.
 
 
Serves 2
Recipe Adapted From Ritu Dalmia's Travelling Diva

What you’ll need:

½ kg boneless chicken

For the marinade:

½ cup strong black coffee
2 tbsp orange jam
2 -3 tbsp olive oil
2-3 tbsp lemon juice
Salt
Pepper

For the sauce:

1 tsp garlic paste
2 -3 tbsp orange jam
2 cups hung curd
Mint leaves
Salt
Pepper

How to:

1. To make the marinade, plunk together the coffee, orange jam and lemon juice. Season with salt and pepper.

2. Beat the chicken with the marinade. I’m kidding, don’t beat the chicken but when marinating meat a wise man once told me the meat should know it’s been marinated. So work it in there and don’t bother being gentle. Leave the chicken in the fridge for atleast an hour but ideally up to overnight.

3. To cook the chicken, you can either grill it or stick it in a pan with some olive oil and on low heat. Let the chicken cook slowly, brushing occasionally with the marinade till you’re sure it’s done.

4. For the sauce, mix the sauce ingredients together and set aside.

5. Once your chicken is done, pile it on a plate and add the sauce on top. Garnish with mint leaves and serve hot.

No comments: