Sunday 28 April 2013

MACHAN - THE TAJ MAHAL HOTEL

Disclaimer: Not really a review.

Machan at the Taj Mahal Hotel is an institution in my family. We go there for birthdays, anniversaries, when my grandparents are in town or when we’re just feeling a little nostalgic. Once we get there most of the table will order fish and chips and the chatter will probably center around how my grandparents, my parents, my aunts and uncles have been coming to Machan for so many years.
 
This year when my grandmother was in town for her birthday the bits of my family in Delhi (well not really bits it came out to 2 kids, 5 grandkids, 1 daughter in law and a husband) went into a tizzy trying to identify the right restaurant to host her birthday dinner. The weeks preceding her birthday were filled with phone calls, facebook messages and in person discussions. Restaurants were rejected for being too gimmicky, the neighborhood they were in, because the menu options were insipid or too flamboyant or the décor was uninspiring or too provocative.

The spectrum of ages on the guest list extended from 8 to 80 with everyone included having strong opinions they cannot keep to themselves. There were logistical issues too, my grandparents can’t climb too many stairs and there were 10 of us. When we get together there’s always a lot of laughter, wild hand gesturing and crazy carbohydrate consumption.
I was really insistent that we go somewhere new together. We narrowed it down to 3 options. Then 2 different restaurants were booked for the night.

You’ve probably already guessed where we finally ended up.
I’ve been to Machan too many times to be able to review it. Even at the birthday I traded in the blogger cap for my elder-sister-pulling-a-hungry-brother’s-leg role early in the night. So this isn’t so much a review as it is a letter:

I love bread. That it's so photogenic just makes me love it more.

Dear Machan,
 
I’d like to congratulate you on the great work you’ve been doing  and for so many years. I realize you’ve been around since way before every Tom, Dick and Hardeep decided to open a “concept restaurant,” “organic kitchen,” or worst of all “lounge bar.” I imagine you look at the twenty nothing year olds swarming around Hauz Khas Village and shake your head with confusion. You must wonder what happened to the people who wanted quality food and good service and why everyone these days just seems to want fairy lights, empty birdcages and mason jars. I wonder too sometimes.
 
Don't rest on your laurels quite yet.
 
One of the things I like best about Machan is that I know what to expect. At the same time I don’t actually go there too often because I know exactly what to expect. I’m not saying “makeover” but small updates would really help to freshen your image up and keep you relevant.
 
The menu keeps changing and the Vietnamese Chicken Rolls I ordered were heavenly. I know the day my brother gets his first pay cheque he’s probably going to cash it in to buy a bathtub full of your Chocolate Milkshake and immerse himself into it face first. I am of course prohibited by my family to even think anything critical of the fish and chips.
 
When you have this kind of loyalty why would you serve watery tomato soup, Machan? Why would you and how could you?

 
Also, that poor woman who stands in the corner and sings around dinner time. The actual person keeps changing but it’s usually an attractive woman in something shimmery. Please could you just get rid of her? I don't mean to be cruel but slightly off key, mostly amateur singing has never done anything for anyone’s appetite.
 
But this is not meant to be a letter of criticism. In fact, in the end I’d like to say thanks. Thank you for allowing us to create our own family traditions around club sandwiches and milkshakes.
 

I just worry that you may end up relegated to a trunk of full of dusty memories.

 
Regards,
A Loyal Patron
(3rd Generation)

THINGS YOU NEED TO KNOW

Should you go: Yes! But it’s no bargain.  
Vegetarian Options: Yes.
Liquor License: Yes.
Smoking Area: No.
Address: The Taj Mahal Hotel 1, Mansingh Road, New Delhi
Phone: 011 23026162; 011 66513114 (Note: These guys don’t accept table bookings and work on a first come first serve basis).


Fish and Chips. Forever.
 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

love the way you've written this!