Wednesday 27 February 2013

CREAMY PRAWN LINGUINI

"Why does Sea World have a seafood restaurant? I'm halfway through my fish burger and I realize - Oh man....I could be eating a slow learner." - Unknown


You might have noticed that like most food bloggers I tag my recipes as vegetarian, with meat, egg based etc so it's easier for a reader to find what they're looking for. I was quite surprised to realize that this is my first post in the seafood category and that's a shame because I really love every kind of cretin that swims out of the sea and on to my plate.

I haven't cooked fish yet and I find the thought a little intimidating since it's such a delicate meat but prawns are really easy to work with. I've used frozen prawns here and they were no trouble at all. Next on my list is crab, tuna and anchovy. I hope to graduate to fish and the dream is to be able to cook with mussels, scallops and caviar.

If you're a seafood rookie like me then start with this pleasantly light linguini. With no elaborate cooking method involved you can lay back and bask in it's subtle, creamy glory.

 

Serves 2
Adapted from Good Food Magazine
 
What you’ll need:
 
200gm pasta (preferably linguini or spaghetti but this is only for prettiness)
200gm spinach (pok choy if you have it)
200 gm raw peeled prawns (frozen works well)
½ cup milk
3 – 4 tbsp grated cheese
3 tbsp garlic paste
2 tbsp olive oil
1 tsp red chilli powder
Salt and pepper to taste
 
How to:
 
1. Cook the linguini till al dente.
 
2. In a pot, add the olive oil, then the garlic paste – stir till fragrant.
 
3. Add the spinach and let it sweat, when it starts to wilt add the prawns and cook till done.
 
4. Add the pasta to the pan and the milk and cheese to make a sauce to cover the pasta. Season with red chilli powder, salt and pepper.

 
 

No comments: