Wednesday 20 June 2012

TAMARIND COOLER

"Then there is the tamarind. I thought tamarinds were made to eat, but that was probably not the idea. I ate several, and it seemed to me that they were rather sour that year." Mark Twain

 
What you’ll need:

250 gms tamarind
1 cup sugar
4 – 5 heaping spoons of black salt
2 litres water

How to:

1. Clean the tamarind and bounce it into a large container with 2 litres of water. Mix in the sugar and salt.

2. Once the mixture comes to a boil, run it through a sieve to get at the tamarind juice. Taste and check if you’d like more sugar or salt.

3. Once cool, serve in small glasses with lots of ice.

Foodnotes:
 
  • In a pinch you could use ordinary salt but I really think that it wouldn’t have the same amount of flavor. If using ordinary salt maybe you could also put in some chaat masala.
  •  I haven’t tried this yet but the tanginess of the tamarind should be a perfect foil for vodka, try it as a cocktail and let me know!  

No comments: